Monday, April 14, 2008

Pedant Coffee Drinking

I fully recognize it's the #1 thing White People Like. If it becomes a stereotype, then, as I say, stereotypes tend to be stereotypes for a reason. And I am your stereotypical young white person who likes coffee. I am now saddened by the recent Starbucks coffee release. For the most part, I could care less when Starbucks releases a new coffee. But when doing so replaces their Breakfast and House Blends, then I am distraught and must form an opinion if it is truly to be the #1 thing I like (#2 for me is assists. I love assists. When I don't make an assist I get mad and break bones.)

It's apropos that they're calling it Pike's Place. For those have not been to Seattle, Pike's Place is the fish market where they throw fish. There's other stuff there too, but for the most part that's the draw. It's the place where tourists go. Cultivated to the masses for their entertainment. Popularized and hyped. This new brew is much of the same. Tastes much like a popular tourist attraction. It should after all since patrons created it. It's a noon cup of coffee. Something warm to drink - but not very good. Very disappointing but not surprising and not worth the $1.85 for a grande. And this is replacing their very good Breakfast Blend and very decent House blend?

NOTE: I would opt for the Komodo Dragon brew if, at 6am, I didn't think of this movie and this character and the fact that referring to this cup of coffee makes me seem a little too ostentatious.

My name is Aaron. I am a coffee pedant.

But hey, it's one of the best parts of waking up (the not best part is actually having Folgers in your cup. That's just terrible coffee).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will dribble over who has the best coffee. I will not assist you in making such a definite pronouncement. Starbucks - whatever blend -is really lousy coffee, burned, er, brewed fresh each day! Might as well sprinkle a handful of beans on charcoal and enjoy, yuck!
Folger's coffee, though not coffee par excellence, still receives a nod of approval any time of the day.
What is the best coffee? McDonald's HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Anonymous said...

I actually agree that McDonalds, surprisingly, has some of the best coffee out there. However, just like most fast-food endeavors, it's always a crapshoot. If the person who brews the coffee is even halfway competent, then you'll get a decent cup. But if you get some screwball who doesn't know the difference between coffee and tea, and mixes the two together into a terrible concoction the likes of which you haven't seen since middle school when you thought "suicides" at the soda fountain were a good idea, you might end up with one terrible cup of coffee. This is especially annoying when one "needs there morning cup" (see the TWPL website).

AaronG said...

Suicides? Wasn't that the game you plyaed with a tennis ball and brick wall where you tried to catch the ball off the wall and if you didn't your friends had to hit you with the ball before you touched said wall. Swamp Soda is what we used to call what you suggest and that always tastes like 7up.

It does, ultimately depend upon the brewer. But if they're given a bad brew to begin with, well, then, unless they're the Larry Bird of Coffee Brewing, then there's little hope. I contend the latter in regards to this Pike's Place catastrophy.

Coffee and Tea? Maybe they'll call it Coffea.

Anonymous said...

The proof that coffee is indeed the #1 favorite item among young caucasians? A Starbucks on practically every corner.

-dz

Anonymous said...

Starbuck disappoints. But it's better to have the lack luster Pikes Place, than what ever moonbeam the flower child decided to toss in the pot that morning, and hopefully coffee is all moonbeam mixed in there !!!!